The Standard has printed through five different university names, two world wars, appearances in the Final Four and Sweet Sixteen, an appearance in the College World Series along with the tenures of countless faculty, staff and students that have passed through this institution. For the past 100 years The Standard has served the Missouri State community by bringing information for students, by students. Today, we commemorate in this special section the work and dedication of those that came before us. It’s this foundation and legacy that defines the course for The Standard as we enter our second century of publication.
Since 1905, when Missouri State University was created, it has had five different names. Some of the name changes have been small, like changing from Southwest Missouri State College to Southwest Missouri State University. Others have been more dramatic, like its first name change from Fourth District Normal School to Southwest Missouri State Teachers College.
Students paste up The Standard in 1981. The paper then was laid out, pasted to the page and sent to the press. Today, it’s done completely digitally.